Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mac'n Food Truck

Say hello to one of my new favorite vegan restaurants, one that has wheels... 


I've been waiting, not so patiently, to try this food truck for months. I haven't had mac n' cheese in over 3 years, since I first became vegan, and the thought of trying a vegan version sounded really intriguing.  And by some stroke of luck, they were right down the street from me this evening. Dreams can come true. 


I admit, I have quite a soft spot for southern fare. I grew up in the south, so fried green tomatoes, mac'n cheese, and BBQ remind me of my not so culinary refined childhood. I went with the Portobello, Pea & Mozzarella Mac'n Cheese with a side of Fried Green Tomatoes (w/ remoulade). 


and the Fried Green Tomatoes...


Diego tried the BBQ Pulled 'Pork' Jack-fruit Sandwich which was topped with apple slaw. 


This food will make anyone believe that comfort foods can be full of flavor. I was expecting the cheese sauce in the Mac'n Cheese to be flavored like soy or Daiya or some other well known vegan cheese. While, I admit I haven't have had 'real' mac'n cheese in a long time, I would swear that their mozzarella cheese sauce tastes just like the real thing. The Fried Green tomatoes were divine :) the best I've ever had, and they paired really well with the slightly spicy remoulade sauce. Now, the most intriguing and delicious item I had tonight was the BBQ Pulled 'Pork' sandwich with appleslaw. I thought it was really unique to use Jackfruit as the 'protein' in this dish. The texture was very fleshy, but the slightly fruity flavors paired really well with the apple slaw. It reminded me of what I wanted to eat in the Bahamas, something I would have enjoyed on a nice evening by the beach. It was really great for this constantly hot weather in Miami. This Food Truck knows what they're doing, and please, keep it coming :)

No comments:

Post a Comment